Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Basilisk:The Serpent King 2006 Made For Cable

If you have Comcast like I now do, the user interface for recording genre films (or I guess really any films) sucks compared to DirectTV (put another way Tivo). So basically you go to the horror section and then you have to record stuff by date. Like it shows you the two horror films that are on today, you press the right arrow on the remote, it shows you the two horror films that are on tomorrow (one of which is the same as today) and so on.

I say this because as a result I record everything questionable or not in case it might be good, or in case I run out of steam after pressing the right arrow 6 times.

As a result of recording everything, I have been getting a lot of Sci-Fi Channel originals, which look like All My Children meets Lisa Bright and Dark meets Clash of the Titans. Mostly they suck. Well pretty much as a rule.

Of the recent Minotaur, Basilisk and one about an undersea creature who's name I can't even remember but had bad special effects in the first minute that made me just delete it immediately, I vote for Basilisk, mainly because it had Yancy Butler in it, the chick from Hard Target who is pretty much the same in this but older and not trying to be as nice. She was doing some Van Dammage.

I will give to Minotaur that it had Rutger Hauer in the first half (and that is actually just sad) and the cast were all really extremely good looking. But it was like All My Children as a period piece so that's bad. The special effects of the Minotaur itself were OK. So I would say fast forward until the end. You can pretty much ff through Basilisk too. And just delete the sea monster one, or don't record it in the first place.

If I see another Sci-Fi original that is good I'll let you know. But don't hold your breath.

No comments: